Panchkarma is mainly a detoxification therapy consisting of five main therapies. viz. Vamana, Virechana, Basti, Nasya and Rakthmokshana.
Panchakarma is very effective and specified type of treatment in ayurveda. It is widely used in all 8(eight) branches of ayurveda, viz.
- (kaya)- comprising of general medicine / all somatic disorders.
- (bal)-comprising of gynaecology, obstetrics, paediatrics.
- (graha)-comprising of psycho-somatic disorders.
- (Urdhvang)- comprising of ENT, ophthalmology, head & brain.
- (shalya)- comprising of surgery.
- (danshtra)- comprising of toxicology.
- (jara or rasayana)- comprising of geriatrics & immunological studies.
- (vajikarana)- comprising of sexual disorder studies.